I’m tired of seeing the update Postman and the failed update in the background. And get up my knowledge and write a shell script which helps with routine.
This blog post will show you how to code a Linux shell script to update the Postman application one-command line. Link to Github gist – here
To code a Linux shell script to update Postman one-command line, you will need the following:
- A Linux computer
Steps to write update Postman one-command line
- Create a new file and name it
- Open the file in a text editor.
- Add the following lines to the file (or copy from gist):
#!/bin/bash # Go to the cd /tmp # Download the latest Postman source archive wget 'https://dl.pstmn.io/download/latest/linux_64' -O postman.tar.gz # Extract the Postman source archive tar -xzf postman.tar.gz -C /tmp/ # Replace the existing Postman app with the new one from tmp sudo cp -r /tmp/Postman/app /opt/postman # Remove the old Postman source archive rm /tmp/postman.tar.gz && rm -rf /tmp/Postman/
- Save the file.
- Make the file executable:
chmod +x update_postman.sh
6. To update Postman, simply run the following command:
This script will download the latest Postman source archive, extract it to the
/opt/postman folder, and then replace the existing Postman installation with the new one. It will also remove the old Postman source archive.
Postman is a software platform for API development and testing. It is used by developers, QA engineers, and other professionals to automate API testing, discover APIs, and generate documentation. Postman provides a comprehensive set of tools for managing the API lifecycle, from design to testing to deployment.
Postman’s key features include:
- API development: Postman provides a suite of tools for designing and developing APIs, such as request builders, mock servers, and code snippets.
- API testing: Postman provides a variety of tools for testing APIs, including automated testing, performance testing, and security testing.
- API discovery: Postman’s API discovery feature allows users to discover and explore APIs, both public and private.
- API documentation: Postman can automatically generate API documentation, including OpenAPI specifications and Postman Collections.
All one-line shell-script in my blog – this page.